Snowplow Micro is a very small Snowplow pipeline, with a few added extras:
- It is small enough to be spun up as part of an automated test suite
- It can be configured to connect to your schema registries, so that it can perform validation on any data that is sent into it
- It exposes a REST API that means it can be queried to see:
- What events have been sent
- How many of those events ended up being successfully processed, and for those that were successfully processed, what values they were recorded with
- How many events failed validation, and what error messages were generated
What does this mean?
- Snowplow customers can use Snowplow Micro to add tests to their automated test suites on any platform that:
- Simulate particular situations, and check that the data sent is as expected.
- Validate that the right event data is sent with each event
- Validate that the right entities / contexts are attached to each event
- Validate that the right values are sent with each event
- Snowplow users can then release new versions of their apps, websites and servers with confidence that new changes won’t break the tracking set up.
The diagram above illustrates the make-up of Snowplow Micro. It has a Collector endpoint and the Validation logic of the Snowplow pipeline, and it can connect to your schema registries to test against your custom defined data structures.